CALL FOR PhD STUDENTS AND YOUNG RESEARCHERS
From 16 December 2019 to 29 February 2020, the CIHEAM is opening a call for contribution for its “Field Research Initiative” (FRI) project. The FRI supports PhD students and young researchers to apply, broaden and disseminate the results of their research contributing to:
• eradicate hunger and malnutrition,
• enhance the sustainability and resilience of agriculture,
• improve water use and livelihoods,
• reduce rural poverty
• support the achievement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), while reducing the negative effects of migratory pressures in the region.
The CIHEAM invites PhD students and young researchers to conduct short-term field research related to food and nutrition security, sustainable agriculture and rural development, climate change mitigation and plant health in order to enhance practical skills. This Field Research Initiative (FRI) will give successful applicants the opportunity to engage with community-based local and rural organisations like producer organisations, cooperatives or small and medium-sized enterprises, as well as with specialised laboratories and centres of excellence.
The purpose of the FRI is to strengthen interactions between young scientists, rural communities and local organisations, promote knowledge exchanges, empower youth with practical skills, share good practices and innovative tools for sustainable agriculture and rural poverty reduction, and foster networks and employment opportunities for young researchers and PhD students across the Mediterranean region, also through South-South Cooperation.
A special focus will be made for the International Year of Plant Health (IYPH). 3 out of the 10 grants will be awarded to proposals providing innovative/sustainable solutions to pests/diseases of primary importance for the Mediterranean and African regions. The first ten proposals will be broadcasted (poster/videos) during the final event of the IYPH celebrations in the key event of Helsinki 2020 for global visibility
DOWNLOAD THE CALL FOR APPLICATION HERE
Established in 1962, the International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies (CIHEAM) is a Mediterranean intergovernmental organisation. As a key player in multilateral cooperation in the fields of agriculture, food, fisheries and rural territories, its missions revolve around four main objectives:
- Protection of the planet by combating waste in all its forms including waste of knowledge and know-how;
- Food and nutrition security by boosting sustainable agriculture and food;
- Inclusive development by investing in new generations and fragile territories;
- Prevention of crises and resilience of territories.
The CIHEAM carries out its missions through the tools of specialised training, network research, cooperation, technical assistance but also political dialogue and partnerships.
Príloha: CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FIELD RESEARCH INITIATIVE (FRI) FOR PhD STUDENTS AND YOUNG RESEARCHERS